close
Sunday, August 3, 2025

Hamas vows not to disarm until Palestinian state is recognised 

According to the Hamas-controlled health authority in Gaza, 60,000 Palestinians have been killed in the conflict so far.

• August 3, 2025
HAMAS GUNMEN
HAMAS GUNMEN [CREDIT : ISREAL TIMES]

The militant organisation Hamas, on Saturday, said it would not disarm unless an independent Palestinian state is established.

“The resistance and its weapons are a national and legal right as long as the (Israeli) occupation continues,” the Palestinian group said in a statement.

It added that it would not give up “the resistance and its weapons… until our full national rights are restored, foremost among them the establishment of a fully sovereign, independent Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital.”

Hamas was responding to statements reportedly made by U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff during a meeting with hostage families in Tel Aviv.

Mr Witkoff reportedly cited Hamas as saying it was ready to demilitarise, according to the Hostages and Missing Families Forum.

“We are very close to ending this war,” the group quoted him as saying.

According to Israeli sources, 50 hostages remain in the custody of Hamas and other groups, with at least 20 believed to still be alive.

Months of efforts to secure a ceasefire and the release of hostages through indirect negotiations between Israel and Hamas are currently considered to have failed.

The unprecedented terrorist attack on October 7, 2023 triggered the Gaza war.

The attackers killed more than 1,200 people and abducted another 250 to the Gaza Strip. Israel responded with airstrikes and a ground offensive.

According to the Hamas-controlled health authority in Gaza, 60,000 Palestinians have been killed in the conflict so far.

The figure does not distinguish between combatants and civilians, though the vast majority of victims are said to be women, minors and the elderly.

France, Britain, and Canada, in a shift in their policies, have in recent days announced plans to recognise a Palestinian state.

London and Ottawa have attached conditions to the plans, including the disarmament of Hamas, its release of all remaining hostages, and its exclusion from any future government of Gaza.

 (dpa/NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Abubakar Kyari

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NSCDC, fire service, immigration, NCoS

NationWide

FG extends deadline for recruitment into NSCDC, immigration, NCoS

The board reiterated that its recruitment process was free as it remained committed to ensuring a fair and transparent process.

Nentawe Yilwatda

Politics

APC diaspora chapter backs new chairman Yilwatde

The APC Italy chapter expressed full support for Mr Yilwatda’s leadership.

Remi Tinubu

Sport

FIBA Afrobasket: First Lady hails D’Tigress on final feat

First Lady Oluremi Tinubu has congratulated Nigeria’s women’s basketball team, D’Tigress, on their qualification for the finals of the 2025 FIBA Afrobasket Tournament in Côte d’Ivoire

States

Jigawa govt constructs 132km embankment to control flooding

Mr Namadi said his administration was currently constructing drains in 32 different locations across the state to reclaim eroded and flooded areas.

Breastfeeding mother

Health

Community support crucial to improved breastfeeding, maternal health, says expert

She called on policymakers to prioritise paid maternity leave and breastfeeding-friendly workplace policies.

NSCDC officers

States

NSCDC nabs two, recovers 80 vandalised railway sleepers in Bauchi

Mr Yusuf said the suspects were apprehended on July 29, following credible intelligence reports.