close
Thursday, July 7, 2022

Kuje Prison Break: U.S. issues security alert, says more attacks imminent around Abuja

Fleeing Boko Haram escapees are believed to still be with the Federal Capital Territory, posing grave threats to hapless citizens.

• July 6, 2022
Mary Beth Leonard
Mary Beth Leonard [Photo credit: US Embassy and Consulate in Nigeria]

In its latest security alert to its citizens in Nigeria, the United States embassy has warned that “an increase in crime is expected in and around Abuja.”

The U.S. advisory comes in the wake of Tuesday night’s attack on Kuje medium security prison in the nation’s capital.

Extremist group Boko Haram/ISWAP claims responsibility for the attack.

The embassy asked its citizens to be security cautious and recommended that U.S. citizens should maintain a high state of personal security awareness for the next two weeks and avoid unnecessary travel on the airport road. 

“On the night of July 5, 2022, an attack on Kuje Prison freed a large portion of the estimated 1,000 prisoners. The prison lies approximately 27 miles southwest of the Central Business District,” the statement reads in  part. 

The statement added, “Crime is endemic throughout Nigeria and tends to spike after dark. Avoiding locations and situations that increase the likelihood of being victimized is the best defence.

“Terrorist groups and those inspired by such organizations are intent on attacking U.S. citizens abroad.”

According to the statement, U.S. citizens in Nigeria are to avoid, “high-profile public events (sporting contests, political rallies, demonstrations, holiday events, celebratory gatherings, etc.), hotels, clubs, and restaurants frequented by tourists, places of worship, schools, parks, shopping malls and markets and public transportation systems (including subways, buses, trains, and scheduled commercial flights).”

Fleeing Boko Haram escapees are believed to still be with the Federal Capital Territory, posing grave threats to hapless citizens.

Earlier on Wednesday, Defence minister Bashir Magashi said the 64 Boko Haram suspects who escaped from the Kuje custodial centre after Tuesday night attack are yet to be found.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson

World

Boris Johnson to resign as UK prime minister

This week, there have been over 50 resignations from Mr Johnson’s government.

Commandant General of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Ahmed Audi

States

NSCDC gets new commandant in Niger 

Mr Dan’Dare warned cattle rustlers, armed bandits, kidnappers and vandals of critical national facilities to relocate from Niger or face the music.

Air shipment

World

EU sets new requirements for air shipments

The ICS2 enables customs authorities to identify high-risk consignments.

Ondo Assembly

States

Ondo Assembly confirms Sowore, Ologbese as commissioners

The Ondo State House of Assembly has screened and confirmed the appointment of the two commissioner-nominees submitted to it by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu.

PVC registration

Politics

CVR Update: Fresh registration now 10.4 million, INEC declares

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says fresh registration in the ongoing nationwide Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) has hit 10,487,972 as of July 4.

Kaduna State University (KASU)

Education

KASU sets up peace committee

“The committee will provide opportunities for members of the KASU community to make input in the development of the university.”