NNPP not part of Kwankwasiya Movement NEC meeting in Abuja: Chairman

The national chairman of the New Nigeria People’s Party, Agbo Major, says Rabiu Kwankwaso, the party’s 2023 presidential candidate, does not have a say in its alliances ahead of 2027.
Mr Major was reacting to Kwankwaso’s speech at a meeting of his Kwankwasiyya group on Thursday in Abuja, where he announced that the NNPP is open to alliances in 2027.
The controversy and tussle over the NNPP leadership has continued to linger, with the party writing to INEC to be decisive on the matter of effecting changes in their old records.
While Kwankwaso and his Kwankwasiya Movement continued to claim ownership of the party, the Major-led national executives of the party insisted that the memorandum of understanding with the Movement had ended after the 2023 general elections and that Kwankwaso and his group had been expelled for alleged anti-party activities.
Major said in a statement on Friday in Lagos that the National Executive Council meeting held by the Kwankwasiya Movement in Abuja on Thursday, in the name of NNPP, is null and void.
He stated that decisions made during the meeting cannot alter the party’s decision or the judgments of the Abia and Federal Capital Territory courts regarding the leadership of the NNPP.
“Aside from the obvious betrayal of trust, we regret that Kwankwaso has continued to use the NNPP name to make negotiations and comments that may cause unrest in the country. The recent statement by Kwankwaso accusing the federal government of neglecting the North in projects is a classical example,” said the NNPP chief.
The national chairman stated that the NNPP was awaiting INEC’s response to its letter, demanding that the commission upload the new leadership of the party that resulted from a court-ordered convention.
“Any Nigerian entering into any alliance with Kwankwaso and his Kwankwasiya group on the basis of the NNPP will be doing so at their own risk. Our party is open to every Nigerian and shall provide equal opportunities for aspirants to undergo mandatory primaries. We shall not allow betrayals of our ticket again as we did in 2023.
“NNPP is not closed to alliance with sister political parties if there is need but it must not be for the purposes of fighting a personal vendetta. It is our hope that INEC as a federal institution should understand the essence of rule of law and order in a civil society and do the needful,” Major added.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Cross River: LG mulls transforming historic barter market to international trade hub
The chairman of Akpabuyo LGA in Cross River, Effiom Effiong, has disclosed plans to transform the historic barter market in the locality into an international trade hub.

NationWide
Military, police use of made-in-Nigeria weapons will curb insecurity: DIAN
Secretary-general of DIAN, Kola Balogun, made the call in an interview on the sidelines of the African Chiefs of Defence Staff Summit in Abuja.

Rights
Sokoto: Committee inaugurated to protect children in alternative care
The Child Protection Network, an NGO, has inaugurated a technical working committee to promote alternative care, policies, programs, and services for children in Sokoto.

Rights
Experts seeks more collaboration on championing gender, social inclusion
The experts made the call at a stakeholders meeting in Abuja to mobilise resources for social intervention in Nigeria.

World
Wole Soyinka, authors want Okigbo’s literary works for global cultural exchange
They urged UNESCO to take further steps in promoting Mr Okigbo’s literary works for cultural exchange among continents.

Sport
Fenerbahce sack Jose Mourinho after UCL qualifier defeat
Fenerbahçe announced that they have parted ways with Mourinho, who prides himself on being the “Special One,” in a post on X on Friday morning.