close
Thursday, July 7, 2022

FLASH: Monkeypox cases confirmed in two Nasarawa LGs

The commissioner explained that two cases were first reported in Keffi Local Government in May and another four in Lafia.

• July 7, 2022

Nasarawa State has confirmed six cases of Monkeypox in two local government areas of Lafia and Keffi.

Ahmed Yahaya, the State Commissioner for Health, disclosed this while addressing journalists on Thursday in Lafia.

The commissioner explained that two cases were first reported in Keffi Local Government in May and another four in Lafia.

According to him, health care workers in the state have been sensitised, trained on the occurrence of the disease.

He noted that drugs and essential commodities had been procured and treatment obtainable in all general hospitals and the Federal Medical Centre, Keffi.

He said the emergency operations centre for monkeypox had been activated while an incident manager was also appointed, adding that all necessary measures were in place in strategic areas to fight against the spread of the disease in the state.

“It is noteworthy that the disease can be transmitted through direct contact with infectious rash, scabs, such as kissing body fluids of infected persons, respiratory secretions, face to face prolonged contact.

“Intimate physical contact such as kissing, cuddling or having sex with infected person are some of the issues to be avoided,’’ Mr Yahaya said.

Monkeypox is a viral disease caused by the Monkeypox virus, an enveloped double – stranded DNA virus that belongs to the Orthopoxvirus genus of the Poxviridae family.

Mr Yayaha said the monkeypox virus lasts for two to four weeks and is characterised by fever, headache, muscle pains, swollen lymph nodes, adding that the invitation period ranged from five to 21 days and children, pregnant women were more vulnerable to contracting the disease.

He advised the people to report suspected symptoms to the nearest medical facilities in the state as well as maintain environmental hygiene in their communities. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

States

Police bust criminals hideouts in Jigawa; arrest 14 suspects

Mr Shiisu said the suspects, aged between 18 and 52, were arrested in Sara and Old Gwaram town on June 6, at about 2:00 p.m.

States

Insecurity: Police, Amotekun, SSS, Civil Defence begin show of force in Ondo

The exercise, it was gathered, was part of the measures put in place to ensure that residents of Ondo, particularly Muslims, who are celebrating the Eid-el-Kabir.

NSCDC armed female squad

States

Sallah: Civil Defence deploys 900 personnel to mosques, markets, motorparks in Jigawa

NSCDC boss said the measure was also to ensure protection of critical national assets and infrastructure in the state.

Peter Obi/Doyin Okupe

Politics

Peter Obi to announce new running mate as Okupe withdraws

Mr Obi is expected to announce a northern Muslim as his running mate shortly.

Lagos

Sallah: Travellers stranded at Lagos parks over bus scarcity

The passengers and some commercial vehicle operators attributed the situation to delays caused by roads being rehabilitated across the country.

States

Court sacks Okowa’s anointed successor in Delta

Federal High Court on Thursday held that Mr Oborevwori lacked the legal competence to participate in the election.